Friday, October 24, 2008

Decorating Alan's Office

Trying to help a husband decorate an office is not an easy task. Mountaire recently moved into a new office which meant a new office space for Alan. While he said he wanted my help decorating, when I first went to help him, he'd already decided exactly where everything was to go. When I suggested that the calendar frame he had had in his old office was too small for the space he wanted it to go in, the troubles began. He really didn't want my advice. He just wanted me to hang everything and leave. So, naturally, I left without hanging anything.

He then wanted some pictures to put up. It seems everyone was using family pictures, so I made him a grouping of about 30 photos to choose from for me to print. He wanted all of them printed. I had bought several great frames at Target, but he didn't like them. As I was about to head to Florida, I threw up my hands, gave him the receipt and the frames and told him to go get what he wanted. His office still had no photos and nothing on the walls.

When I returned from Florida, Mandy and Mama Dot went with me to see Alan's new office. He now had pictures on top of a bookshelf (in the frames he had gotten with some of the 30 pictures I had printed in them). The first thing Mandy said was that the calendar frame was too small to go on the wall where he wanted it. She told him where to put his chicken prints and that he needed to do his calendar in a grouping. I suggested he frame his Mustang print we got in Hawaii to go with it and one other thing and offered to go with him to his office that weekend (this past weekend) to hang things. He said he'd see.

Well, last weekend came and went and he never decided to go decorate the office. On Wednesday afternoon he called and asked if we were ever going to decorate his office, or was his just going to stay bare. I thought I'd scream, but instead, being the good wife I am I said we'd go that night. We arrived at his office that night with the Mustang print (which I had picked out a frame for at Target after he said he didn't want to spend the money custom-framing it.) A couple of his certificates, picture hangers, nails, hammer, etc. I grouped his calendar with the Mustang on the floor and was going to put his certificate with it, when he pointed out the certificate was framed in brown while the other two things were black. We put a couple of certificates in a different spot, and I suggested perhaps a piece of ironwork to go with the Mustang and calendar. He didn't like that idea, but reluctatly agreed to go to Pier One to look.

Before we went to Pier One, I asked him to consider putting the chicken pictures on the left wall we entered the office and looking at a big screen print I had seen at Pier One for the wall you face as you enter the room. Since by that time he just wanted things on the walls, he agreed, and I hung the chicken prints while he played around on his computer looking at golf prints.

We went to Pier One, didn't find anything to group with the other things and looked at the screen print. He didn't want that. He wanted a picture. So we went home. He said if we didn't find anything by the next day we could just forget it. He'd have an undecorated office.

I spent yesterday looking for a picture for the entry spot and for something to go with the grouping. I found a black clock at Target that he liked, so one problem was solved, but no print.
When he got home he asked if we were going back to his office that night to hang things. Of course, I said yes. Then he surprised me. He said maybe we needed to go look at the Pier One screen print again. We did, he bought it, and we hung the rest! Hallelujah! Miracle do happen.

Of course, while I was hanging things, he was on his computer looking at golf pictures. He now has two prints on his Christmas list that he feels sure will look nice over his bookshelf. :-)

2 comments:

KBeau said...

So would those prints be a good Christmas idea, since I have his name for Christmas?

The Walkie Talkie said...

I didn't know Uncle Al was so opinionated about his surroundings. Benton is as well. Instead of asking, "Do you like it?" when wanting to purchase some new decor...I now ask, "Can you live with it?"

Sounds like it ended well though!